July 9, 2007

NYC Sketchcrawl

Well I am the last to post my NYC sketches, as my home computer got 'cranky' . Thursday, July 5th, I met fellow EDMers Shirley (from paper and threads) and Casey (from rue Manuel bis) for a sketchcrawl in NYC. After a 'greet and meet' at Shirleys Lovely home we headed to Central Park under sprinkles.
The day decided to co-operated and we skteched first at the pondside cafe in Central Park - I captured a woman working at a nearby table and the shop behind her and then a lovely, very knobby tree. I do not do figures anywhere near as well as Shirley and Casey.
From there we headed to Bethesda Fountain and sketched the Angel. I tried Casey's loose style (scary! but so fun!)
A few steps away we sat at pond's edge (see first photo) and sketched the Pondhouse restaurant where we had lunch reservations too - thanks to Shirely . The park is so lovely and varied. Lunch was excellent with a view of the pond, a gondola and the fountain we had just sketched.
After lunch we headed to the Metrepolitan Museum ofArt and decided on the Roman exhibit - see my Hercules torso and head below - later we moved to an exquisit Chariot which I attempted to capture
The day was fabulous, so much fun for me to get to know and watch these two wonderful artists work, to compare notes and enjoy the day - hopefully there will be many more crawls to come.
Thank you Shirley and Casey!! and I love every single post you two have entered!

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Wonderful sketches! It sounds like you had so much fun, and a very productive art day.

Lin said...

SAndy! How lucky you were to meet with CAsey and Shirley!!! And your sketches are AWESOME!!! Superb job on all -- I especially love the fountain!!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing your journal pages!! It was so much fun, I want Casey to come over from France again before next summer!! Your Boat Pond tree is amazing! How did you do that? And so much fun to see the same subjects from all of us. Hopefully will see you again soon. I feel as if there are so many things to sketch in the city - we haven't even started....

Teri said...

Fantastic Sandy!! Great sketches and such good company! Your angel just knocked my sock off!!!

Sharon said...

Thanks to all three of you for sharing the photos and NYC sketches! It's great to have faces to connect to the artwork and postings.

juj said...

That tree is positively yummy - I love all the hatches and the squiggly leaves. What a fun day you had.

mARTa said...

ok, I'm totally jealous! I loved the photos posted, especially yours of Shirley and Casey sketching and the one on Shirley's blog of the 3 of you...all very beautiful and talented ladies. I don't know....if Casey comes across the pond for another sketch crawl I might have to hop a plane to join in!!!! I loved seeing all the sites sketches and love your boathouse and the fountain...really well done!

Genine said...

Sandy , I really enjoyed your sketchcrawl sketches. I especially love the tree and the fountain. Excellent job!!!!

Laureline said...

Great sketches! It is such fun to see yours after seeing Casey's---your fountain in 'her' style is gorgeous. I really like the sketch of the seated woman, too---the negative space makes for a very strong composition.

Tami said...

Your sketches are great! I LOVE the fountain, EXCELLENT JOB!!! The tree is very knobby looking too, good job with the texture!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day. It's great to see your sketches and the photos too. Wonderful!