October 22, 2007

England Travels

My first trip hop scotching across the pond ;-) My best friend and I returned from Europe a couple of weeks ago and I did do some sketching (a dream come true) and I also did some picture taking and gawking and eating and shopping. Not nearly enough time and We Will return, often if possible. I have been busy working on completing some of my sketches and doing more from photos and memory, certainly not enough time to do all the on-site sketching I would have liked. Ahh sketching is reliving the moment and every time I see this journal I will " remember".
I bought this Union Jack vinyl zip tote in a tourist shop, it works perfectly for pens, pencils etc. At the Cass art shop I bought wc pencils and a new W&N wrapped journal which I LOVE ( along with several other items, I had to lug across Europe most lovingly!)
This little red phone booth is right across our favorite Starbucks (yes, I Needed good American coffee!) We had a latte each morning and sat and viewed the English world racing by for a bit - I did sketch this on site and added detail each mornings. Alas, we were in London only a scant 3 days, just enough to Know it is an amazing city (albeit expensive right now !) We will return and spend more time Everywhere we missed!!
This is the view out of our hotel (the Mayfair on Stratton) right off Piccadilly, near Green Park and Hyde Park and the Thames ;-) from here we walked to Buckingham Palace and and Picadelly Circus and Harrods and miles and miles of London streets. A lovely city with so much more to do and see.
Of course we HAD to do the double decker bus tour - a Great way to touch base with the major sites and take unobstructed pictures. The weather cooperated and we even had bright sunshine pne day. We bought a 2 day bus ticket and used the bus as our 'taxi' to revisit areas.
I love the Tower Bridge, it is my favorite bridge. I had to do this sketch from a picture I took from the bus as we traveled over the bridge - under the tower, I could sketch this from every angle over and over - so beautiful.
We decided to see Harrods as it was nearby - WOW I thought I had seen enough in fancy NYC department stores, but Nothing compares, almost an entertainment destination on it's own. I bought a tiny Harrods Stilton Cheese crock as a souvenir - which exploded on the way home in my suitcase ;-0 the crock survived but . . . . what a suitcase stench!
And of course Big Ben and Parliament - so stately and majestic - and yes it was a lovely clear scene as we toured by on our perfect upper level bus seats-
More posts to come as I complete them and get them loaded. And next comes Paris!!

8 comments:

Teri said...

FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS SKETCHES!! I loved reading your notes and seeing your sketches. It does bring all the memories back again doesn't it. So much fun. You did a wonderful job on each and every one.

I am waiting to hear more about your new supplies :)

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
These are such wonderful sketches! You can imagine how nostalgic I am seeing each of them - I miss our regular trips to London, but love having my babies home! Please keep sharing! I also adore Paris....

Jenny said...

Love the sketches, especially your collection of art loot and the one with window boxes. Keep having fun!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sketches Sandy!! You've captured the spirit of England in every one of them! I hope there is more to come...ronell

Gabriel Campanario said...

wonderful, wonderful sketches! makes me want to go back to London right now

Laura Frankstone said...

Sandy, these are amazing! You are so patient in your sketching---all those Harrod's awnings must have been challenging! I can tell you had such great time---your joy is everywhere in your paintwork and in your words.

seesue said...

Sandy, how delightful these are! Your skyline sketch and the bridge. WONDERFUL!

Laura Frankstone said...

Sandy, that was me in the post just above!