October 16, 2007

Ohio bound

My travel journals are back logged, both with posts to enter here and posts to just finish from everywhere.
I have been so fortunate to travel so much lately. Just before my Europe trip I attended my husband's Naval reunion.
The Reunion is held in a different location each year (in San Diego last Sept). and this year's was held on an Air Force Base in Ohio (Wright Patterson Base, Dayton OH) It seemed strange to hold it at an Air Force Base, but the location was perfect and lots of fun.
I had no idea Dayton was so filled
with history. The Wright Brothers were from Dayton and did their inventing here. The air force base is named after them and their original test flight 'strip' is still on base and preserved. The Dayton Wright Bros. museum is full of information as well. So intriguing especially when viewing the Kitty Hawk next to today's Stealth bombers and such.
The Air Force Museum on base houses three Presidential Air Force One planes, including Roosevelt's, and Kennedy's (where his body was transported and Johnson was sworn in on board in flight) it gave me shivers to walk through that plane.
The museum is Huge and covers every imaginable aspect of air flight- there are planes hanging above and many on the ground and some can be entered. The wall displays account specifics of war events and personnel and are filled with interesting accounts as well.
Granted I come from an Air Force family and was born
on an Air Force Base which would explain my genuine interest in this museum but my Navy husband was likewise enthralled and we even spent some free time back at the museum - I highly recommend it to any on in the Dayton area. It is a Free National Museum.
I did take a ton of pictures, and with our second trip back to the museum I stopped to sketch some things that caught my eye. (see entries) I could have sketched here all day long - but I did manage to get a flavor of the entire long weekend.
As we headed home I worked on my sketches on the plane, a young girl in front of me passed by my seat and stopped "That's Cool, what are you doing?" I showed her my pages and she was intrigued, I suggested she write and draw about her travels and she said she would, who knows maybe I created another sketcher?
I thoroughly enjoyed Dayton, of course there were Navy dinners and meetings and conversations with old friends, certainly recounts of their Vietnam days on the Destroyer Everett F Larson, DD830 in the Pacific arena - but Dayton offered much, much more. - Next year is Washington DC!!

4 comments:

Teri said...

Sandy, these are just GORGEOUS!!!! Each one is so interesting and so well done!! No wonder the girl stopped and you made a believer of her. Just a wonderful travel illustrated travel journal!! Thanks for taking us on the trip.

caseytoussaint said...

Sandy, these are wonderful journal pages - I thoroughly enjoyed following along on your travels. Great work!

E.M. Herbert said...

I'm not sure if your friends would be interested, but I visited the Everett F. Larson in April 2007. It's now part of a park on the east coast of South Korea. I emailed my photos to the Everett F. Larson veterans group but never got a response. If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll gladly pass them on: emherbert (at) gmail (dot) com. Beautiful journal pages, by the way.

Gene Maresca said...

I just stumbled across your blog site. Glad you had a good time in Dayton !

Also read the post by the wonderful e.m.herbert. I don't know when the photos were sent to us, or on whose watch, but I immediately e-mailed her to thank her and to invite her to DC if she's in the area.