November 2, 2007

Roma - last of the Europe tales for now

We hopped another train in the afternoon to Roma - our last stop. The scenery was lovely, something out of "Under the Tuscan Sun" The trip was only about 2 1/2 hours long from Florence, but quite pleasant.
Rome is a very large busy city - after a LONG wait for a taxi we settled into our hotel the Aldrovandi Palace - Quite POSH. This is the view from our window. Lovely pool and patio and a zoo of some sort nearby - occasionally a strange animal call could be heard (monkey? donkey? macaw?) Our hotel offered a free shuttle to and from the Spanish Steps which we gladly used daily. (hum, I must sketch my Spanish Steps pictures to enter) We have several stories surrounding this hotel (saved for another post).
Through all of Europe, this was My lifeline home. As a first time European tourist, I knew I needed a plug and voltage converter, but the first time I actually plugged in my new iPhone I held my breath (envisioning a poof of smoke ;-) But it all worked perfectly - my cool iphone gave us a week's weather prediction, international clocks for home and various stops, text messaging, pictures, internet look up - directions, alarm clock and even took notes on important facts to remember - a God Send and no, I don't work for Apple
This lovely building caught my eye, as we toured Rome on a lovely sunny day. I think I captured the bright crisp coloring here and the interesting evergreen trees - and there are palm trees here too!
The Colosseum, left me speechless
This fountain in the Piazza della Rotonda (right in front of the Pantheon) had a pigeon wading 'most provocatively' – I snapped a pictures and decided to try my hand in this sketch -
Sooooo many fascinating sites in Rome, the Coliseum, the Pantheon, to name a few AND the Vatican - so awesome! This sketch is from a distant picture - and even though I am not Catholic I was tempted to buy a rosary - it seemed like a perfect connection to the moment. Again we did not have time to enter many sites - with only 2 1/2 days in Rome - we did take bus tour #4 (open air double-decker) - they are so wonderful to get on and off at will and touch base on many major sites and learn from the tour information. With such short time allowances it was a great use of time and we used them as our taxi to return to areas easily.
Here my travel companion sleeps on our first leg of the flight homeward from Rome to London - Yes she wears her sunglasses all the time.
Wow, 2 weeks passed so quickly, we did it all by ourselves with No catastrophes! And we had a Blast.
We are definitely bitten by the travel bug and will return! - I did not sketch on site as much as I planned but I was so overwhelmed trying to get in everything I could . Yet, for the first time, I did well and will continue to sketch from memories and pictures. I now have a journal that I will treasure forever - and more journals to follow. AND next time I will meet and sketch with other EDMers ! I can't wait!

19 comments:

Ann said...

I am so envious of your travels and just loving reading all about it and seeing your marvelous drawings. Terrific artwork!
Ann

Laura Frankstone said...

Sandy!!! These are the best yet!! You can really see a difference in the sketches as your trip wore on---they become more and more confident and even lovelier than they already were! I am so happy for you that the trip turned out so well. You certainly did fabulous work---and you worked hard, too.

Anonymous said...

these last sketches are just so beautiful Sandy...I love your fountain! They are all full of atmosphere and sunny colours and bright spirit - such a pity it is the last. Next time you really have to get in touch when you come this way!
ronell

Lin said...

Sandy! I simply cannot believe how much you were able to sketch while away! I couldn't sit still long enough -- I wanted to see so much!!! Glorious sketches, cara .. simply the best work of yours!

quirkyartist said...

Love the pics of Rome. Looking forward to the Spanish Steps. I used to be able to see them if I leaned out the lounge-room window when I lived in Rome. The colours are gorgeous - you've really got them right.

Bonny said...

Sandy your sketches from your trip to Europe are all beautiful, but these ones from Rome are pure magic! They remind me so poignantly of my trip there with my Mom, the last I ever took with her.
I do have a question about your sketches: Did you draw them AND paint them in situ, or did you just sketch them on site and added paint later at your hotel? How did you find drawing in public? Thanks!

Shelly McC said...

Wow! Lots of great drawings here!!

Lydia Velarde said...

I enjoyed looking at the drawings of your trip. They are beautiful! what lovely memories you will have on paper.

Teri said...

They are all gorgeous but that colleseum knocked my socks off--it is just gorgeous!!!

Thanks so much for taking us on your trip. Your travel sketchbook is so absolutely wonderful!!

Linda T said...

These travel sketches are great. What a good idea, to sketch from photos you took as well as on site!

mARTa said...

Wow Sandy! Your sketches of Rome need to be included in MY sketchbook! They are fabulous! The colors just perfect! I have only sketched onsite and painted at night in gloomy light, but they too carry me back to such great days spent traveling and with my family. I have a few more to paint in..I actually got 3 sketches done in one day in Paris but need to add some color to them. I might have to try from photos as I normally don't that to get some of my favorite sites included in my sketchbook. Later I'll send you an email because I'm curious about your iphone experiences..I want to compare. :) ciao bella

seesue said...

How wonderful your sketches are! So much more descriptive than a photo could be.

Serena Lewis said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your blog and what a treat to see all your travel sketches too. I particularly loved the fountain....excellent sketches, Sandy!

Tara D said...

Wow! These are so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your sketches of your travels with us all!

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
What a treat to return from my trip and find your Rome sketches. I have loved traveling with you on your first trip - your enthusiasm and joy was contagious! The sketches are just wonderful!

Emma Pod said...

These drawings are just lovely! Great compositions and colors. They're beautiful!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Great post!

Judybec said...

Your travel sketches are wonderful! What fun you must be having. I especially love the fountains--makes me feel like I'm there with you!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is wow. Sandy, your line work is amazing; showing the rolling terrain and your bits of architecture on the coliseum. And that fountain! I love that! Your sketchbooks will become family heirlooms to be handed down to each generation. You've created more than just a journal. You've created a bit of history. On a side note, I still have my rosary from my first holy communion when I was 6! I am a very bad Catholic, tho. ;-)