January 26, 2008

EDM #155 Stairs

In 1976 we built a house in Maine at the foot of Sunday River Ski Resort, nicknamed "the Chalet". There are three floors and the only interior stairway is circular. I have always loved the open airy look of these stairs although they have their drawbacks. 1) moving furniture between floors is most difficult (luckily we have open lofts) and 2 ) dangerous for children and 3) Dogs frequently refuse to climb them at all. But I consider them a work of art! Our Chalet stairs have oak treads but I chose a more rustic look for my sketch. Artline Pen and watercolor in W&N journal.

9 comments:

Lin said...

This is terrific, Sandy! What a challenging perspective -- you've done that excellently!

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
Great stairs! You must be in Maine - or somehow just knew this unusual angle was great to photograph. The chalet sounds so wonderful I can just imagine how cozy it is.
Shirley

bettyfromtexas said...

The perspective challenge is really well met here, and I love the palette you chose!!!

Teri said...

WOW Sandy, this is just spectacular!!! The watercolor blending is perfect. And I always love hearing about Maine, so beautiful. Your place sounds like heaven!

Shelly McC said...

Great painting! Brilliant perspective!

Tami said...

Great take on this challenge! I love this perspective and the colors you've chosen! Your Chalet sounds wonderful!

Genine said...

These are AWESOME!! You took on a tough set of stairs and rocked them.

Jenny said...

Sandy, thanks for the many times you have visited my blog and left comments. The palette you asked about was found on eBay. Every now and then interesting small palettes are auctioned, sometimes at a decent price.

Love your stairs! Well done! I avoid circular stairs because of motion sickness, but I didn't have to climb yours ... just admire them. *lol*

Desiree's Designs said...

Wow, these are just great. What a perspective you got on them. I am getting dizzy! I would think not to handicapped friendly either! LOL
What is the weather like up there in Maine??